Online shopping has become a way of life with more people than ever making use of the convenience and cost-saving of buying online. Relatively new to e-commerce is the online pharmacy.
According to the Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies, a non-profit organization providing information to consumers about online pharmacy services, there are between 30,000 and 50,000 online pharmacies operating in the United States.
This article will provide valuable information for choosing an online pharmacy mail order service.
Online Pharmacy Ordering
Online pharmacies, or mail-order pharmacies, are pharmacies that operate online and ship medications directly to the consumer. Online shopping for medication has become increasingly popular lately.
Many of these stores allow people to purchase prescription medication, over-the-counter medications, and even medications for your pets.
On an online pharmacy website can you save money because they eliminate taxes and the added expense of high overhead. With the added convenience of delivery to your door, using an online pharmacy mail order can save you both time and money.
What are some of the benefits of purchasing your medications from a pharmacy online?
- Highly convenient – For busy working professionals, disabled or elderly adults, online pharmacy delivery eliminates the need to travel to a store.
- Saves Time and Money – Medication purchased online usually costs less and you can compare prices before making a purchase.
- 24/7 Availability – An online pharmacy is always open for your order.
- Customer Privacy – Using a reputable online pharmacy ensures confidentiality.
- Innumerable Variety – Online pharmacy services offer both branded and generic medications.
- Confidential Information – Online pharmacy mail order sites have useful information about medications and possible side-effects and online customer service to answer your questions in private.
Important Guidelines For Online Pharmacy Mail Order
Do not order medications online unless you are sure that it is legal. The following information will assist with online pharmacy ordering.
- Consult your doctor first. Internet knowledge is never a substitute for advice from your doctor. Following your physician’s advice will ensure you are being treated properly and taking the medication appropriately.
- To purchase prescription medication online you need a valid prescription. Selling prescription medication without a doctor’s prescription is illegal.
- Be apprehensive about unsubstantiated claims. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Avoid offers for “cheap” prescriptions, claims of drugs for sale without a prescription, drugs that are not available in the USA, or miracle cures.
- If you receive spam emails from an online pharmacy, do not click on it! Besides no guarantee of the medication’s safety or efficacy, many of these spam emails are designed to steal credit card information.
- Only purchase from an online pharmacy based in the United States. While other countries may offer money-saving incentives, only medications manufactured in the USA guarantee exacting FDA standards of quality.
- Buying medications from an unregistered website can be dangerous to your health. Many such sites sell out-of-date or counterfeit drugs. The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) provides information on online pharmacies that comply with state and federal laws and patient safety standards.
- Problems can arise when people read information online and use it to self-diagnosis their ailments. And then they purchase medication online without their doctor’s prescription or knowledge. Unless you have an MD after your name, this is never a good idea.
- Never purchase medications from an online pharmacy website that offers a “doctor’s prescription” for medications following a fill-in information form. This is an illegal way of selling medication.
Online Pharmacy Mail Order
Among Americans who take prescription drugs, 24% say it is somewhat or very difficult to afford them, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation. No wonder so many people are looking for cheap prescription medications.
You may be able to find medications online at less cost but there may be an easier way to convenience and cost saving.
If you have health insurance, your insurer may offer online pharmacy services or may work with a preferred online pharmacy. This eliminates the risk while retaining the cost savings and convenience.
This option may only be available if you take daily or regular medication. Check out your health insurance website or talk with their customer service department about getting your prescriptions transferred to an online pharmacy.
How to Safely Purchase Prescriptions Online
Here are some ways to safely buy medications online:
- Look for an online pharmacy website that displays the blue and red Verified Internet Pharmacy Practices Site (VIPPS) seal from the NABP.
- Look for an online pharmacy website that ends in .pharmacy rather than .com which indicates they have the approval of the NABP – although not all legitimate online pharmacy services use that designation. You can check any website using Legitscript’s search tool.
- Do not buy from any website that offers to sell prescription medications without a prescription or an offer to “prescribe” medication for you.
Find The Best Online Pharmacies
Online pharmacies may be recognizable brick-and-mortar community pharmacies that have added an internet platform or may be purely digital pharmacies. Either way, any legitimate online pharmacy has a registered physical address where they carry out their corporate and distribution services.
Choose a pharmacy that has the NABP seal of approval along with an easy-to-follow website and clearly-stated contact information. Look for one with the convenience of free delivery.
Many help organize your prescriptions refills by contacting your physician on your behalf ahead of time and sync refills so you only have one co-pay.
Try to stick with one pharmacy, if at all possible, for all your prescription purchases. A pharmacist may easily pick up on any possible problems with drug interactions if he has the list of all your prescribed medications.
Online Pharmacies Can Help You Save Money
Many pharmacies offer hundreds of low-cost generic drugs especially helpful if you lack health insurance. What’s more, coupons and vouchers from websites like Blink Health, GoodRX, and RXSaver can provide hundreds of dollars in savings.
Shop smart to save with online pharmacy mail order. For more interesting and informative articles to save you time and money, please read more on our website.