A significant amount of people in the world have arthritis. In simple words, it is a pain in the joints. There are almost 100 types of arthritis. Although each includes pain, it is not vital that a medication or supplement that works well in one will help in the other types. So if you hear about any medication for a particular kind of arthritis, the possibilities are you may not get its benefit.
This article talks about one of the most growing supplements, CBD gummies for pain. Have you tried it or thought of trying it anytime soon? If yes, you are not the only one. In August 2019, Gallup Poll organized a survey that shows 14% of Americans have already tried CBD products ( oils, tinctures, gummies, or topical creams). Surprisingly, the most common cause was pain.
Another poll by Arthritis Foundation shows that 29% of the people are already using CBD, and around 80% have either used it in the past, are using it, or considering it. These data give a clear look at the growing popularity of Plain Jane CBD. But is the hype worth it, or is CDB overrated, or it helps with arthritis? You will get the answers to all these questions through this article.
Effects of CBD on the Body
Before going into all the technicalities, you should understand the basics of CBD and how it affects the human body.
CBD or cannabidiol is a compound found in cannabis plants. The cannabis plant is also the mother of various other compounds, such as THC. However, there are differences between the two. The most visible distinction is the psychotic property seen in THC and absence in CBD.
Most people do not know this but, the human body contains a compound almost similar to cannabinoids. They are known as endocannabinoids. The Endocannabinoid system secretes them whenever required. For example, if the body wants to relax or sleep, it will realize a certain kind of endocannabinoid to ensure that you get a good sleep. The system consists of three components, endocannabinoids, receptors present, and enzymes released by them.
In a study organized to understand the endocannabinoid system’s role, we saw that animals suffered extreme and abnormal pain sensitivity with their endocannabinoid system deactivated. That means that this system, with the help of its receptors and enzymes, lowers pain. When you consume Sunday Scaries CBD gummies for pain, the cannabinoid present in them might mix with the blood. It then might combine with CB1 and CB2 receptors. It boosts their activity and thus contributes to pain reduction.
How CBD Relief in Arthritis
Through the above section, you got a brief on how CBD reduces pain. You will understand the process in detail through these points:
- The Endocannabinoid system works with other significant pain systems such as the inflammatory system and endorphin via the spinal cord and brain receptors.
- Whenever an injury happens, the human body begins releasing anandamide, a compound known to reduce pain intensity. However, at that time, the body also releases FAAH ( fatty acid amide hydrolase). It is a compound that decomposes the anandamide. Fortunately, scientists discovered that CBD might slow down the process of anandamide degradation, thus, prolonging the pain relief system of the body.
- One of the most common kinds of arthritis is rheumatoid arthritis. Its symptoms are increased sensitivity to hyperalgesia or pain. It happens when the vanilloid receptor present in the body detects any heating sensation. However, research says that CBD might help to abolish hyperalgesia. It also activates serotonin receptors, known to moderate the perception or feeling of pain. This receptor plays a significant role in pain management.
So, these are some of the ways CBD affects pain. Whenever a person decides to consume CBD gummies for pain, a common question is always in their minds: what studies say. The following section deals with it.
Studies on CBD for Arthritis
CBD is probably the most controversial supplement. Initially, it was not legal to consume or possess it. Therefore, there is minimal research on the compound. Most of the claimed facts are based on anecdotal experiments.
However, with time the myths around it are busting, and more states are legalizing CBD. Thus, more and more studies are coming out. Here is a list of studies that shows the efficiency of CBD for pain.
- In 2016, scientists administered CBD in a group of arthritis-affected rats. They applied CBD gel for four days on the subjects. All the rats did not get the same dose; their dosage was varying. Based on their dosage, we distributed them into three groups: low dose, high dose, and highest dose. The result of the study was:
- It found no improvement in the symptoms of rats with lower doses of CBD.
- It showed a significant positive difference in the symptoms of rats with high dosages.
- The group with the highest dosage showed similar effects to that of the high dosages group.
The best part that came out from the study was there were negligible side effects even in the group that took the highest CBD dosages.
- A similar kind of research on rats with osteoarthritis, organized in 2017, shows that CBD reduces inflammation and pain symptoms. Thus, the researchers concluded that CBD is a possible option to treat osteoarthritic joint neuropathic pain.
- In most of the studies on CBD, rats are the subjects. However, there is a study that tries to read the effects of CBD on arthritis-affected dogs. In 2018, scientists fed CBD oil to dogs with arthritis for four weeks twice a day. The study drew a lot of attention. The results of the study were:
- They experienced a significant reduction in pain symptoms.
- They also became more comfortable.
- Because of the above two results, their anxiety level also decreased.
Fortunately, no side effects were seen in this case too. So, these are some of the studies on different subjects that show CBD as a possible medication for arthritis.
While thinking of trying CBD gummies for arthritis or any other issue, there are few things that you should check before taking it. The first is, understand the CBD law of your state. Although it is a federally legal compound, there are still certain restrictions in a few states. Also, consult a medical professional so that CBD does not negatively affect you by reacting with other medications you take.