“VPS”is an acronym for Virtual Private Server. It is a common variant of web hosting, and could also be called a variant of dedicated server hosting. Because of the way how they are designed, best forex eas and FX robots need to be trading 24 hours a day, 5 days a week using your computer resources. If the robot experiences any interruptions during trading hours, this may result in missed trading opportunities or the loss of money. If you are unable to properly log on to your computer, this may also affect the trading platforms and the robot. For example, maintenance of your computer or new installations may have to be completed during non-trading days which can present a problem
With time, thousands of VPS providers have entered the market, and not all of them are capable of providing the same level of services. Thus for a trader, it is very important to evaluate a VPS provider’s capabilities before signing up.
Differences between shared hosting and VPS hosting
Many traders use shared hosting services as an alternative to VPS services. While shared hosting does provide some short-term benefits, it is dwarfed by the collection of useful features provided by VPS servers. Here is a short difference between the two concepts.
- Price points
- Most shared hosting services are cheaper in comparison with VPS
- VPS services have higher fees associated with them. But they provide better value for money, in the long run, considering their resource allotment.
- Technical skills
- Shared hosting services require much less technical skills to operate.
- VPS services require a proper understanding of the technology, except in the case of Managed accounts where experts take on that burden.
- Othe participants
- Since it’s a shared hosting service, traders have no way to find out who they are sharing the resources with or how they might affect the overall performance.
- In the case of VPS services, there is no sharing.
- cPanel integration
- cPanel can easily be included with shared hosting.
- cPanel integration may require traders to sign up with a higher plan.
- Resource allocation
- In shared hosting resources are allocated but with limits.
- In VPS hosting, there are dedicated resources that only a particular trader can access.
- Shared hosting services are less scalable than VPS hosting.
- VPS hosting is very scalable.
- Number of connections
- Shared hosting allows 35 to 50 concurrent connections.
- VPS hosting allows more than 150 concurrent connections with more connections available.
How to appropriately select a VPS provider?
Here are some easy tips that traders can follow when selecting a VPS provider.
1. Method of virtualization
When shortlisting options for VPS providers, traders should first check the virtualization technology the provider is using. With time, several virtualization technologies are available, such as Hyper-V, Xen, Virtuozzo, and Open VZ.
2. Level of data security
It comes as no surprise that security is the biggest feature that a VPS provider is online security. The standard feature of every VPS is security protocols. A good VPS provider will also provide DDOS protection.
3. Latency and bandwidth
Latency refers to the time it takes for an order or command to reach the broker platform. This usually depends on the network distance between the trader’s computer (or VPS) and the broker’s servers. Speed is a big factor in automated forex trading. Unfortunately choosing a VPS with high latency will result in turning profitable trades into losing ones. A good VPS provider is able to provide several locations across the world from where its clients can choose. Traders should choose a Forex VPS located near their forex broker. If this is not feasible, they should at least be on the same continent. In general, companies providing high-quality VPS services maintain a speed of 1Gbps and ample bandwidth such that EA traders can continue to work 24/7.
By using a VPS service provider, forex robot users can leverage the advanced benefits of physical colocation in a data centre, while providing an end-user service that is manageable and affordable. Good VPS providers also perform maintenance and administration of physical hardware and network components at no additional cost to clients.