Are you spending a fortune on your hair care routine every month? Unfortunately, the products available in the market today are processed and consist of chemicals, “natural” fragrances, and ingredients that may not always benefit you in the long run. The overabundance of hair care products available on the internet and retail outlets has spoilt buyers’ choices. It has become a challenging task to choose from this plethora of products.
The constant diet of hair masks, oils, serums, shampoos, conditioners, leave-in conditioners, curling creams and gels, heat prevention creams, and multiple other products has driven us to turn into a consumerist market. As a result, we are slowly moving away from the simple remedies and recipes that we can churn in the comfort of our own homes!
Now, let us try and focus on lovely DIY home remedies that are easy to make, sustainable, and affordable. Remember, a balanced diet and management will take you a long way to improve the quality of your hair.
Aloe Vera Gel + Coconut Oil Mask
The cooling and soothing qualities of aloe vera gel make it a significant part of the skin and hair care routine. At the same time, coconut oil works like magic to strengthen and tame unruly hair.
The best way to obtain aloe vera gel is to grow the plant right at home! An aloe plant is low maintenance, does not require daily watering, and does not need direct sunlight. You can conveniently place the plant near your kitchen window.
- It helps you effectively control an irritating and itchy scalp
- Nourishes and naturally conditions your hair.
- The coconut oil strengthens brittle hair and helps generate hair growth.
- Scoop fresh aloe vera gel from its leaves and mix it with virgin coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and then the lengths of your hair.
- Leave the mixture for 15 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with a mild shampoo.
Avocado, Olive Oil and Coconut Milk
Do you have naturally curly hair? If yes, then we have the holy grail to a DIY hair mask to manage your curls. You can readily find a combination of fresh avocado, olive oil, and coconut milk in your kitchen.
- Detangles your curls easily
- Controls the frizz
- Defines the curls and tames unruly hair.
- It helps you prevent split ends.
- Mash half an avocado in a bowl.
- Mix it with half olive oil and coconut milk in a cup.
- Blend it and make a fine paste.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and then proceed to the lengths of your hair.
- Leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse it well with a mild shampoo.
Banana and Milk
You can find these ingredients in your home. Banana and milk are rich sources of proteins, calcium, and other nutrients. This mask works magic on your hair and can be used on colored hair as well.
- Banana is rich in vitamins and potassium that strengthens your hair.
- Milk provides proteins that help you treat damage and dullness.
- Mash an overripe banana in a bowl.
- Mix it with milk.
- Apply it to the lengths of your hair.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes and rinse it with a mild shampoo.
We aim to give you a list of simple hair maintenance options you can find in your kitchen and grow in your garden. We do not endorse completely cutting off from the products available in the market, but we would be glad to help you reduce the off-the-shelf products in your hair care regime.