Whenever anyone visits your home on a regular day or a special occasion, the first best thing you’d like to serve them is flavorsome shortbread.
A shortbread is the royal biscuit of the British, but now everyone wants to cook this special biscuit because of its global popularity. Statistics say that US citizens consume 300 cookies per day, and 51% of Americans love shortbread confections. However there are multiple processes of making this confection, but you can try a simple one that you can quickly prepare at home.
The Base of the Confection
According to a famous Scottish chef, the classic shortbread or shortcake comprises only three ingredients: flour, butter, and sugar. And the main work lies in blending and carefully cooking the biscuit.
You can use rice flour, sugar, and plain flour as your base. You need to beat the butter taking your time till the solution becomes creamy. This whole process will give a texture, creamy and correct sweetness to your biscuit. However, the quantity of all ingredients depends on the number of people you are cooking.
Other Ingredients to Add
The original recipe is simple in taste and also simple to cook. It is usually only three-four ingredients that make this British biscuit. However, you can try different ways to cook and additional ingredients to add up with taste.
Shortcake is also prepared with cornflour instead of rice flour to give it an extra soft texture and flavor. You can use cornflour, flour, caster sugar, butter, and a pinch of salt to make this biscuit. After mixing all these ingredients, you need to bleed all the ingredients together and prepare a dough. After the dough preparation, keep the biscuit in an oven for 35-45 minutes until the color changes to light brown. Corn Flour gives a rich and good flavor to your biscuit.
Most households also make this English biscuit by adding baking soda to the recipe. It gives the dough some moisture and helps in cooking a lot. Baking soda is a new addition to the recipe of this English biscuit, as it lets the biscuit cook well and the shape comes out to be perfect.
You can also try making this recipe healthy by adding brown and granulated sugar.
Process of Making These Little Confections
The making of these cookies is relatively straightforward and goes like this,
- Preheating the oven has to be the first step after placing a large baking sheet or silicone baking mat in the oven.
- The preheating temperature has to be adjusted to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients and prepare a dough. (mainly, the ingredients include sugar, butter, flour, vanilla extract, or other flavoring elements.)
- Blend the ingredients slowly and nicely by mixing them in the same direction.
- After carefully mixing the ingredients, keep them aside for 20 minutes.
- Make a big circle with the dough, and cut the shape of rings using a shape cutter.
- After cutting the circles, transfer these cookies to the oven and place them on the baking tray, which is preheated.
- Bake these confections for 15-20 minutes at 325 degrees Fahrenheit until you see them in light golden brown.
These cookies or cakes are easy to cook and a delicious way to impress your guests. Try out this recipe or buy this cookie online to welcome your guest with warmth.