Presently, the extruders in the plastic industry fall roughly into two categories, namely single-screw and twin-screw extruders. It is vital to understand single-screw extruders and twin-screw extruders for any company that wants to invest in extrusion technology. These two types are used widely in the plastic industry because they have their unique characteristics.
In case you are still not familiar with single and twin-screw extruders, this article will guide you to clear their definitions, their respective benefits, and the differences between them.
Single VS. Twin Screw Extruder: What Are They?
A single-screw extruder is one of the machines that help form a plastic product into the desired shape while heating the plastic raw material, for instance, PVC, to its melting point. Subsequently, it is forced through a die that provides the material its shape.
On the other hand, a twin-screw extruder is a machine that extrudes viscous substances into excellent quality structured products by using intermeshing screws and specialized screw designs and strictly controlling processing conditions. After extrusion, these materials transform into plastics compounds, textured food products, chemically modified polymers, cellulose pulps, and other products.
Single VS. Twin Screw Extruder: What Are The Merits?
Despite the far exceeding merits of twin-screw extruders against single-screw extruders, we get an overview of both. So, let’s jump straight into it.
Advantages of Single-Screw Extruders
- With the adoption of a double-order integral design, the single-screw extruder has a good plasticizing function, helping ensure stable, high-speed, and high-performance extrusion.
- In addition, it also bears a large capacity and emits low noise since the whole process is involved with involute gear transmission.
- It likewise ensures the mixing effect of material because it encompasses the distinctive barrier of comprehensive mixing design.
- The low plasticizing temperature and high shear provide the low temperature, high performance, and low-pressure metering extrusion of materials.
Advantages of Twin Screw Extruders
- The twin-screw extruder has an excellent exhaust ability. Without question, it refers to a self-cleaning function of an intermeshing extruder that allows the entire surface renewal of the material during the degassing section.
- It can handle high viscosity on low material, powder, and paste since the principle of positive displacement material transports the twin-screw extruder.
- Because the material in the twin-screw extruder machine stays briefly with less heat friction, it is appropriate for heat-sensitive materials.
- It is convenient to disassemble, replace, and clean the barrel and extruder screw.
- It has higher process productivity, resulting from handling several raw materials and mixing formulations, along with the positive pumping action of the screws.
Single VS. Twin Screw Extruder: What Are The Differences?
- The twin-screw extruder has exceptional mixing capability, thanks to a wide diversity of dedicated screw designs and intermeshing screws. It enables the precise adjustment of mixing that leads to control of the degree of mixing. In contrast, the single-screw extruder has a limited mixing capability with some flow restrictions.
- Not only does a double screw extruder can handle several processes, such as mixing, venting, and melting, but it can also tackle high process flexibility. As far as the single-screw extruder is concerned, its screw and throughput are dependent. Furthermore, screen designs with several processing functions in series are restrained.
- When it comes to the price, the single-screw extruder is relatively cheaper than the twin-screw extruder. It is the case because the single-screw extruder is comparatively straightforward than the complex nature of the twin-screw extruder.
- The granular materials stay longer in the single-screw extruder. Hence, it slows down production time. Conversely, the twin-screw extruder provides a high plasticizing capability and process productivity than the single-screw extruder.
Best Place to Purchase Twin Screw Extruder
As aforementioned, the twin-screw extruder has more benefits and functions than a single one. If you are looking forward to purchasing a twin-screw extruder machine, you can get in touch with Boyu since they are a professional twin-screw extruder machine manufacturer that offers a complete and ready-to-use solution. It includes handling, extruding, pelletizing, dosing, and other dimensions. Their expertise ensures you will get a fitting solution to your compounding system requirements.
In addition, Boyu takes pride in providing innovative, superior-quality, and efficient extruders to their customers all across the globe. They ensure that their products remain environmentally friendly and technologically empowered to give the users top-notch productivity. The secret behind their reliable equipment is the concerted efforts toward continuous R&D and pursuit of perfection. Do you want to explore more of Boyu’s products? Please get in touch with them immediately to get something more.