Moving to a new home is never a straightforward task, especially if you have a lot of household goods to move around. Valuable furniture, antique items, electronic goods and many such items are to be handled with utmost care so as to prevent them from getting damaged.
Hiring top-rated, professional removals in Adelaide is the right thing to do if you want to ensure all your belongings are moved safely without causing any inconvenience.
Tipping your movers is a nice way of showing your satisfaction with the professional services you’ve received. You would want to strike the right balance between over-tipping them and appearing like an unthankful penny-pincher by not paying them at all for all the hard work.
Tipping Movers – Things to Consider
Before you start thinking what’s the right amount to tip your moving crew, it’s essential to determine if they deserve a tip or not. Factor in the following important aspects as you decide to tip your movers:
- Quality of Service: You need to assess the overall quality of service provided by your chosen removalists in Adelaide.
Did they arrive on time? How was the behaviour of the crew? Did they pack all items safely? Were the moving trucks clean and well-maintained? Most importantly, how much stress did you have to take during the process?
If you are happy and stress-free at the end of the day, your movers have done their job well, and deserve a tip!
- The Nature of Your Relocation: Is your relocation a complicated one or a fairly straightforward process? If it’s a long-distance move then it may take a few days from start to finish the entire removalist process.
Also, consider how big your home is and the number of things you need to relocate. In other words, if the moving process involves a lot of hard work by the crew then they deserve something extra in the end.
Nothing beats verbal applause, but giving them a tip after the grueling moving project shows your generosity and boosts their morale.
- Moving Costs: Determine estimated moving cost before deciding on the tip. Figure out if the packing/unpacking services are included in the removal quote or not.
Ask the movers if you need to pay for the expenses on a lump sum or installment basis. Make sure you factor all of these things before deciding on how much to tip your movers.
How Much to Tip Your Movers?
There is no standard formula to calculate the tip for your movers. Yet tipping in the service industry is very common. Whether you’re tipping in a lump sum or on the basis of “per hour per mover”, do consult your family and friends before shelling out dollars.
Generally, here’s what makes for a good tip:
- A half-day move – $20-$30 per person
- A full 8-hour day – $40-$50 per person
- For more than 12 hours a day – $50-$60 per person
Rest, the tip may increase or decrease depending on the scope of the moving project.
Other Ways to Appreciate Home/Office Movers
Tipping movers is not always about money. If the crew is doing a brilliant job throughout the moving process, you can show you an appreciation for their hard work by:
- Offering refreshing beverages like coffee, tea, lemonade, hot chocolate, sodas, energy drinks, etc.
- Offering sandwiches, pizzas, cookies and snacks
- Buy the crew lunch or dinner
- Your kind words of appreciation and thankfulness can do wonders to lift their morale
- Write a positive online review for their business, so others can also seriously consider them for home or office relocation in Adelaide.
Tipping is not mandatory. If you have a bad experience, there’s nothing unusual in not tipping at all. On the other hand, if you are happy with how your removalist process was performed, do not shy away from showing your gratitude towards the crew.
Do let us know of your tipping experience in the comments section below: